Friday, March 6, 2015

The Return of the Leica X2

A few months ago, by "luck," I owned the Leica X1 and X2 at the same time. I returned the X1 (thankfully it was still within the no-questions asked return period), and kept the X2. I loved the look of the X2. So simple. So direct. I won it on Ebay, for about $900. At first I was giddy, and then I realized that no one else placed a bid because it was "incomplete." The camera did not come with the original charger, or the box. This is a big deal because it would be difficult to resell a camera without its original box. And I had long accepted that any notion keeping a camera "forever" was an illusion. I could have offered to cancel the deal, because the seller could not find something (irrelevant) he promised in the ad.

I REALLY wanted to have an X2, and I had the money in my camera fund.

After a couple months, I sold the X2. But I missed it a lot (this was unusual, therefore I knew it was for real, as in, true love), even though I already have the Leica T, Leica Digilux 1, and the Leica M9. Fast forward to last week, as usual, I obsessively scanned the ads, and I saw that the person who sold me the T had just made his X2 available on the for sale board. I bought it, thus owning an X2 for the 2nd time.
The camera is so beautiful.
Yes I cloned out the license plate.

And besides for what I paid, it would be cheaper to own the X2 with the Elmarit lens, than to buy an M-mount Elmarit. At least that's the story I tell myself...

I now have 4 leicas. I love to touch and stare at them. They are scattered around my bed. Other than the Fuji X100, I can't say that about any other camera that I have owned...

No comments:

Post a Comment