Monday, January 19, 2015

Forcing Myself to Take Ten Thousand Crappy Shots

I am very comfortable capturing photographs of tango dancers. I have done that for a number of years. When I snap a tango photo, I have confidence that the final image is what I imagined in my mind.
With practically every other subject, I suck. I force myself to take pictures of streets scenes, of landscapes, of buildings, you name it, I suck in all of them. I see a "beautiful" or "interesting" (but this is quite debatable) image; I capture it; I look at it later on the computer; I cringe.

For some time I wondered why I suck so much. And then, I hit myself over the head. I have taken tens of thousands of tango photos, and perhaps hundreds of, say, buildings. Of course I could not yet possible develop a sense, a mental correspondence between reality, the viewfinder bounded image, and what my brain thinks through that viewfinder.
So I force myself to take thousands and thousands of crappy photographs, until my brain learns. As to interesting and good... well, I hope, in time, I will get to that too. But I suspect, if I were to submit any of my photos to 4chan/p... well, I would get demolished... Which reminds me, I NEED to make it a monthly (can I take it?) ritual, to send a photo for C/C (comments and criticisms), on 4chan/p, and let the bruisings help me become better...
It's not just having the camera. I force myself to stop the car, get out, and take the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment