Friday, January 23, 2015

Using The Leica T to Take Crappy Photos

The Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Lens arrived! I went to the Eastern Market Tango Club Milonga, super excited to try it out. I was in trouble, with the low light and fast-moving dancers.  In my mind: "No problem. I am going to take crappy photos and I am going to be super happy with my new toy!"


I mean, what's the point of using a $4,500 gear combination (yes I know don't go there I am a camera junkie money has no meaning) to take crappy photos? Why bother? What's wrong with me? What kind of photographer am I?

Yeah... good points...

It's not enough that I have inferiority issues, and at the same time, I have strong opinions about what I like and what I don't like. This, I don't understand, but anyway.

In 2015, other than camera phones (because of their slow response time and long focus time), cameras are just, simply, awesome. Really, there is no justifiable reason that any photo should be crappy... except, oh right, a person "made" that photo.


I guess there is a difference between deliberately taking crappy photos (because it's just too damned difficult to take a good photo) versus try to take a good shot and I am just crappy at it. But this is, and I am getting to the camera junkie part, TOTALLY different from the choice of gear. I love the Leica T because (yes, again, enamored by the looks) it is so damned beautiful. It is so ridiculously sensuous to touch. It's too expensive? Yes. It's fun. It's not even the best camera or the right camera to use for this environment. Yes. But I am a camera junkie. I use a camera to touch it, to look at it, to adore it, and by the way, to take pictures.


I try very hard to take good pictures. I do. I have very strong opinions. I love my shots, even if they are crappy. I love them for very personal reasons. And I am working on accepting that.


No comments:

Post a Comment