Saturday, January 31, 2015

In Which Boxy Adorable Is More Important

Finally the Leica Digilux 1 arrived. The battery hardly holds a charge anymore. Don't care. The moment I took it out of the box, I was drawn by the chunky boxy silver+black and pretty much everything about the way it looks. I continue to be a sucker for beautiful things.
This point-and-shoot, from 2002, is large. Today, I think point-and-shoot means tiny, in shirt pocket, you know, smart phone sized. But the Digilux 1 is most certainly not pocketable. I am glad about that. I like to hold it. It is not too easy to hold. It is surprisingly slippery. Don't care.
I tried the camera in low-light, my normal tango thing. Fail. Just too difficult. The photos from the Digilux 1 were uniformly "terrible," except that... I loved the ways that they were terrible. I know, I have a serious problem.
But since I don't get paid (not quite true, but true enough) to take pictures, my camera doesn't have to be flawless. It can be temperamental, as long as it is the kind of temperamental that pushes my gush-my-love buttons.
I was able to convince these two lovely pieces of toast to be my model. Interesting the low shutter speed here... I haven't looked at the specs (remember I told you that I was too busy coo-ing?) and yet the lovely toasts were in focus. I like the way that Digilux 1 (perhaps I will call it Digil) rendered the complexion on the crusts.
I had to pay these chairs to model for me. I am glad that I did. They have such beautiful legs.

Adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment