Friday, February 6, 2015

Well That Was Difficult

I was giddy about using the Leica M9 at the milonga. More giddy than dancing. There was a time, when I couldn't wait to get to a milonga (EARLY!) to dance the night away. And now, I find myself more and more preferring to stay behind the lens, to practice my craft... For years, the embraces with beautiful women, the hauntingly beautiful music, and the endless gliding steps around the dance floor, brought so much pleasure, peace... And now, passions change, I suppose...
I knew the tango scene would be difficult for the M9. And the images, to my dismay, reflected the challenges I forced upon the machine, which had left my jaws on the floor, earlier in the morning, with the bright white white sunlight into my home, and the images that I captured of my family. But I had to find out...
I had the 40mm Summicron-C at the widest f2 aperture; I dared pushed the ISO to 2000, and I had little choice but to slow the shutter down to 1/15 second... It was just... not easy.
As I worked through the images, after the milonga, late into the night, my excitement turned to dismay. "Oh well, what do I do now??" I thought about the Sony A7s, and I was surprised at myself, "come on, you DON'T LIKE its appearance, its 'too many-ness.' Why do you keep forgetting that?"
It was the first real night out, with my M9. I don't know it yet. My fingers don't know where to go yet. In time, I will find the sweet spot, the way that the M9 wants to remember those moments in the night.
Acceptance?

No comments:

Post a Comment